Friday, June 10, 2016

Poppy and the Mayans



The visit to school plays etc. for the Grandchildren has always been Valerie’s department. Yet my granddaughter 11-year-old Poppy said to me “Granddad you like history so I want you come to my school as we are putting on a display about the Mayans” I thought good heavens she actually wants me to be there, so obviously I went. Her school is St Peter’s Roman Catholic School, first time I have been there a very pleasant school, which has good results. This is Poppy’s last term at the School as she moves up to Highsted Girls Grammar School; she is lucky she lives in Kent, which still has Grammar schools. The children were put into groups and had to prepare a project and presentation; have to admit I thought I would be bored not so it was extremely interesting. The children done some excellent work and I was proud of all of them




The Maya Empire, centred in the tropical lowlands of what is now Guatemala, reached the peak of its power and influence around the sixth century A.D. The Maya excelled at agriculture, pottery, hieroglyph writing, calendar-making and mathematics, and left behind an astonishing amount of impressive architecture and symbolic artwork. Most of the great stone cities of the Maya were abandoned by A.D. 900, however, and since the 19th century scholars have debated what might have caused this dramatic decline.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.