Monday, May 09, 2011

SCOTLAND & KENT

I recently attended the British Sambo Open in Dumfries Scotland and had a marvellous time the competition was excellent but it is the Scottish Countryside that blows me away. I have been travelling to Dumfries for over thirty years and I never stop wanting to visit, for those who have not visited Scotland you must the scenery is breath taking. Dumfries has rolling hills with acres upon acres of green grass, Lochs of pure silvery clear water go a little further and you will see forests with Deer, Ferrell Goats standing beside beautiful water falls with name like the Mare’s Tales, visit small towns like Moffat, enjoy the Bagpipes plus lots of little shops, tea rooms and of course do forget the Dumfries coast line and maybe visit a fishing village like Kippford and breath in the charm. Scotland clean and welcoming country, if I had the money I would buy a second home there not just because I love the place but it would upset the SNP.


Yet the following weekend I was in for a treat I decided to visit Kent’s Sissinghurst Castle Nr Tenterden, the Castle and the grounds were beautiful but it was the journey there and back was the treat. I travel down through Bredgar, Hollingbourne, Leeds, Cranbrooke, Headcorn and many more villages for those who know the area you will know you cross the North Downs. Kent away from the major towns and you will see a different beauty to Scotland, you will see orchards, apple and pear plantations, strawberry fields, acres of current bushes, then there are paddocks of horses, grass meadows with sheep and cattle, this time of year you can see green fields of young corn, yellow of rape, blue of linseed plus many other arable crops. Let’s not forget our chestnut woods with bluebells covering the floor like a carpet and the fluttering of a pheasant, the magnificent hedge rows. I returned through Pluckily, Fritterden, Three Chimneys, Biddenden, Crafty Green, Wye, Doddington, Rodmersham, and Bapchild what a drive, sometimes we do not recognise what we have in our own County. I am glad I was born a Man of Kent the side of the River Medway which has all the best of the County and I haven’t mentioned Romney Marsh and the great Kent Coast line yet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.